Impress your guests with this stunning and delicious Strawberry Crepe Cake recipe! This easy-to-follow recipe will guide you through creating this layered crepe cake with layers of delicate crepes, fresh whipped cream and juicy strawberries. Perfect for any occasion, this dessert is sure to be a crowd favorite.
Layered Mille Strawberry crepe cake: A Beautiful Layered Dessert
Crepe cake, Mille crepe cake, whatever you know it as, this beautiful layered dessert will have your guests ooh-ing and aah-ing. What is it about layered desserts that just makes your heart flutter?
I think part of the reason is that we think layered cakes are a lot of work, or that they are hard to make. I wish I could tell you that this cake comes together in a snap, but, well, you gotta make all those crepe layers. That being said, this strawberry crepe cake is easy to make and totally doable!
The Best Crepe Cake Recipe
Most crepe cakes I see around just have some sort of cream in the middle, but I wanted to make this one extra special. My husband loves strawberries, so I thinly thinly sliced fresh strawberries and added them to every layer!
A great way to thinly and uniformly slice your strawberries is to use a mandolin. Check out the video below to see how I did it. I got mine at the 100 yen (dollar) shop in Japan, but I’m pretty sure you can find them for cheap online too.
By the way, what is it about crepes and ruining the first one? As in, whenever I make crepes, crepe cakes, anything crepe-y, my first one always goes straight into the trash. It just never turns out right! For this strawberry crepe cake recipe, there’s room for some mistakes. I tossed my first layer, and then ditched a couple others that weren’t round enough. Look how tall it is still!
One of the keys is having a really good non-stick skillet. High quality kitchenware really does make a big difference. That said, if it’s missing a few layers, it’ll still look great, so don’t stress too much!
Another thing? Don’t stress if your crepe isn’t a perfect circle. In the video below, you’ll see that some of my layers were a little wonky, but I think it adds to the ruffle-y look that gives a lot of character to the finished cake. Really, it’s rather forgiving, so give it a shot!
I hope you’ll like this strawberry crepe cake! Watch the video below for a quick tutorial, and check out some of my other dessert recipes.
Tips for Creating The Perfect Strawberry Crepe Layer Cake
- Batter Rest Time is Crucial: If you’re wondering how to make a crepe cake that turns out perfectly, remember to let the crepe batter rest. This process allows the flour to fully soak in the liquid, leading to soft, tender crepes.
- The Importance of a Non-Stick Pan and Correct Temperature: The secret to a good strawberry crepe cake lies in the perfect cooking temperature. Ensure you use a high-quality non-stick pan and adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning or uneven cooking.
- Don’t Be Discouraged by the First Crepe: Usually, the first crepe serves as a trial run in your crepe cake recipe. If it doesn’t turn out perfect, use it as a benchmark to fine-tune the batter thickness and heat level.
- Precision with Strawberry Slices: In crepe cakes, maintaining a neat and sophisticated appearance is important. Thinly slice the strawberries, using a mandoline if possible, for easy layering and a visually pleasing result.
- Achieving the Right Cream Consistency: In the strawberry crepe cake recipe, whipping the cream to medium stiff peaks ensures it holds its shape well for the layers, while remaining creamy and easy to spread.
- The Key is to Cool the Crepes: A layered crepe cake is best assembled when the crepes are entirely cooled, preventing the whipped cream from melting and keeping the layers neat and structured.
- Perfect Layering: When you’re learning how to make a crepe cake, remember that heavy layers of cream and strawberries may destabilize your cake. Opt for thin, even layers instead.
- Wait to Flip: Patience is key in crepe cake recipes. Wait until the edges of the crepe begin to curl before flipping to avoid tearing.
- Assemble on the Serving Dish: Assemble your Japanese crepe cake directly on the plate or stand you plan to serve it on. Transferring a fully assembled crepe layer cake can be a tricky process.
- Refrigerate Before Serving: The final step in creating your Japan crepe cake is to chill it in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. This step firms up the cake, making it easier to slice, and helps to meld the flavors together.
Whether you’re making a mille crepe cake recipe or a simpler version, these tips should guide you to a perfect, delicious result.