Toasted black sesame seeds are mixed with sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream to make this delicious black sesame ice cream.
Black Sesame Seeds
I LOVE all things black sesame seeds. The weird gray color, the roasty toasty flavor, the way it works in both savory and sweet… I especially like the sweets. When I visit Japan, I always make sure to eat a black sesame soft serve cone. And pudding. Annnnnnd cake. Can’t get enough, seriously.
A No Churn Ice Cream Recipe
Today I’m introducing an easy no churn ice cream recipe. Have you heard of no churn ice cream? It’s so easy, and it means that you can make homemade ice cream even if you don’t own an ice cream maker. Like me. It’s just a combination of condensed milk and whipped cream.
Black Sesame Ice Cream Recipe
The recipe is easy, It’s just a combination of condensed milk and whipped cream as the ice cream base and the toasted black sesame seeds give it color, flavor and texture. This is ice cream that anyone with a blender and whisk can make in just a few minutes.
Traditional Japanese Ice Cream
Most of the black sesame ice cream recipes I’ve seen via blogs I follow and Pinterest usually ask for black sesame paste. Honestly, you may be able to get that in California or places with a high Japanese population, but here in the Midwest the best I can do is a container of the plain ol’ seeds. I wanted to make a recipe that would only require seeds, to make it more accessible.
I was a little skeptical at first, but once I tried it out I was converted! Its texture is creamy and you can easily scoop it with a spoon.
So how about it?
Black Sesame Ice Cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
Order Supplies Online
- Toast your sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat. Stir the seeds around and heat until the seeds start giving off a nutty aroma. Watch it closely so you don't burn them!1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- Put the seeds in either a blender or food processor and process to a powder. Make sure not to over-process. We are going for a dry powder and if you go too long the oils will start to process and become more butter-like. Think quick pulses!
- Add the condensed milk and pulse to combine.1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Whip the cream to medium peaks.2 cups whipping cream
- Fold the sesame mixture into the cream. Tip: add a dollop of cream to the sesame mixture first to lighten it, and then add back into the bowl of cream. Fold gently so that you don't deflate the mixture too much.
- Pour into a container.
- Freeze for 6 hours, overnight, or until it's completely frozen.
2 thoughts on “Black Sesame Ice Cream”
What exactly is 1 can of condensed milk? Is that 14oz?
yup 14 oz!